Friday, May 25, 2012

Kiwi Land, Part I

Location: Melbourne (Tullamarine) International Airport
En Route to: Christchurch, NZ (south island)
Excitement level: totally stoked!

I don't know if you knew, but I'M GOING TO NEW ZEALAND!!!

I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my redeye flight to New Zealand.  New Zealand has been in the coveted second-place spot (below Italy) of "places I need to go before I die," and I'm just hours away from ticking it off.  I don't have long--only twelve days--because I need to haul my ass back to Melbourne to study for exams, so I'm doing just a quick (but packed) jaunt around the central and southern parts of the south island.  I'm going with a bus company called Stray, which is an easy hop-on hop-off service, and they take care of all the itinerary nonsense so I can concentrate on doing awesome activities.

My expectations for New Zealand in general are incredibly high, but for Christchurch they are low.  That's because an earthquake basically leveled the city a few years ago, and it's effectively a ghost town now except for the airport.  So I only have a couple hours there, just to catch a shuttle west to where I'll meet the Stray bus.

To preserve the suspense, I'm going to refrain from reciting my itinerary before I actually do things, so stay tuned.  But you can be virtually certain that I will decide (again) that I am in the most beautiful place in the world, and that I'm having the time of my life.  [Insert jealousy here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment