Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A tast of home

Lorenzo and I went out for a bit tonight, first to the garden at Queensbury Hotel, our local cheap pub, to go over money matters from the GOR trip (who owes how much, etc.).  We also talked a lot about our universities, and how the American and Italian systems differ substantially.

After Queensbury we met up with the Italian and French (of both the European and Canadian varieties) girls at Melbourne Central.  These were the girls who were also at the Great Ocean Road this weekend, so it was fun to compare our trips.  There was quite a lot of non-English at the table, which was good and bad: good because I really like listening to those languages (especially Italian), but bad because I didn't understand them and I felt guilty for being an uncultured American who doesn't know enough languages.

Anyway, I wasn't drinking, but one of the French Canadian girls came back from the bar and, knowing I'm from Boston, told me the beer of the month was Samuel Adams.  Now, since this was probably the only time I'll get to taste that deliciousness while I'm here, I coughed up the $7.50 for a bottle of Sam Summer.  When I ordered, I asked for a "Sam Adams," and the bartender had no idea what I was talking about, so I used the full name "Samuel" and pointed to the sign.  Then she knew what I wanted and she told me she really likes them and has been drinking one every day, to which I responded by telling her I am from where it is brewed (hence the title of this post), but I'm not sure she really cared.  Anyways, now I know what they do with all the Sam Summer once the season is over: they ship down under!  So while we're drinking Winter Lager back home, they drink Summer Ale here, and veis versa.  And yes, it's just as tasty--I love that dirty water.  Now if only they could ship some Cherry Wheat--or better yet, a UFO or some #9--over here, we'd be in business.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ari,

    I somehow came across your blog, and it's awesome! I'm thinking of studying abroad in Australia (probably in Melbourne) so it's been really helpful to read this. Hope you keep having an awesome time!

    Tali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my blog, Tali. Studying in Melbourne is the best choice I've ever made, so I hope you do too! If you do decide to come here and study at UniMelb, definitely arrive early and do the welcome program and feel free to hit me up for advice on places to go and things to do.

      Delete