Thursday, March 1, 2012

Week one, done.  That wasn't so bad.  I found all my classrooms without looking like a complete n00b.  I've understood everything in each class so far.  In fact, I'd say this is pretty damn good...

  • Today I had my Australia and America tutorial.  It was way more interesting than the lecture.  The group is slightly more diverse than the lecture demographic suggested.  I'd say about 2:1 American/Australian ratio, with some chinese exchange students mixed in.  I'm one of three from Boston, including a girl from Newton (it's a small world, people).  We did a fascinating exercise where the Australians listed the stereotypes knew had about Americans, and the Americans listed the ones they knew about Australians.  They said Americans are nationalistic, ignorant of global issues, religious, powerful, and overly politically correct.  Not too far off, actually.  Australians are friendly, outdoorsy, crocodile-hunting people who really like to drink.  I think they pegged us way more accurately than we pegged them.  I'm glad I'm taking this class.
  • The Global Environment is still laughably fundamental, but I'm finding lectures pretty interesting.  Today we learned about the geological formation of the earth, and what we know about it from meteorites we've found on earth.  Apparently more of these meteorites have been found in Western Australia than anywhere else, so this is a really good place to be learning this stuff.  Did you know the moon used to be part of the earth?
  • I've got the hang of everything in Controls so far, but I can smell the difficulty coming from a mile away.  Yikes!
  • The professor for Science and Society was out of town, so the tutor gave the lectures this week.  Despite his impressive qualifications, he's not the most captivating lecturer.  I wasn't expecting this class to be so philosophical; it seems like we've been asking a ton of meta questions about the relationship between science and society and we haven't jumped into many case studies yet.  I wonder what the professor's lectures will be like.
Although it still feels like much longer, I've now lived in Australia for three weeks.  I now look the correct (right) direction when crossing the street, I know the values of all the coins, and I'm starting to even use Australian phrases like "how're you going."  I'm eating tremendously well and for very cheap (no restaurants yet), and I'm planning all sorts of cool stuff to do.

Yesterday I bought tickets for the Australian Grand Prix which is here in two weeks.  Ben is coming up from Sydney to stay with me and watch it, too.  It will be my first Formula1 race (actually my frist motorsport race) ever, so I'm pretty stoked.  I'm probably going to root for Lewis Hamilton.

1 comment:

  1. Bro. I'm so happy your having a blast. Keep at it and take advantage of every opportunity you find. Do me one favor: buy me a surfboard. K thanks!

    ReplyDelete