Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Australian Academic Culture

Now that I've had all my classes, I've noticed a few things about the academic culture at Melbourne...

  1. Everything starts after and ends before the advertised time.  This is so you can get to class on time, but it also results in a lack of consistency of class length.  Why not just schedule the classes for 50 minutes like they do in the States?
  2. Very few students have laptops during class.  This is either because they are not taking very many notes, or because all the slides are posted online anyway.  Many students print out the lecture slides and write directly on them, which is also something people do back home.  Many students actually have the lecture slides on their iPads; I'm considering doing this with my Kindle.  The lack of laptops also means people are not on Facebook, Reddit, etc. during class, which is weird.
  3. The tutors (a.k.a. preceptors) are very qualified.  In Princeton, you usually get a masters or PhD student.  In my Science and Society class, the tutor already has his masters and PhD and is already a recognized member of his academic community.  Pretty snazzy.
  4. Professors are less formal than in the States; they don't dress fancy and you can address them by their first names.  However, just like back home, if you disrespect them, they will lash out.  My Controls professor ripped a kid a new one for making a snooty comment.  To be honest, I think I prefer the higher level of formality because it makes the student/professor relationship less confusing and shows a certain level of respect, but Australian academics obviously prefer their way.
  5. Students seem to get up and leave in the middle of lecture.  I'm not sure if that's because it's still the first week and people are still "shopping" classes, but back home that would be a pretty ballsy move.  But the professors here either don't mind or don't notice.  It's interesting that my Controls professor berated a student for one comment he made, but paid no attention the the kid that simply walked out the front door in the middle of his lecture.  Strange.
P.S.: Keep checking up on this post; I notice new things every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment