Monday, February 20, 2012

As seems to be the case with this city, tonight was nothing short of interesting.  My initial plans were to meet up with a friend (and presumably other people, as well) at  MUSEX party at some bar.  I got tired of waiting for him to go out, so I went out by myself in the direction of the bar, hoping I'd meet someone I knew along the way.

Well, I didn't meet anyone I knew, but I did meet this guy, Peter, who was walking in the same direction. Apparently he teaches a sociology course at uni.  I decided to go grab a beer with him, which is something I normally wouldn't do with a totally random and definitively sketchy stranger like him (he kind of reminded me of Frank Gallagher from "Shameless," both in terms of his scruffy long-haired look and his buzzed-if-not-intoxicated demeanor).  Anyway, since many bars close early on Sunday nights, or were already at capacity, we finally found this weird hipster-type place, and I had a beer with him, figuring it might be a while before my friends were at the other club.

So Peter did no fall short on my sketchy expectations, as he didn't even have enough money on him to pay for his (admittedly expensive) pint, and I had to throw him a two-dollar coin.  But, in all fairness, that was a good price to pay for his eccentric company, and we had a pretty engaged conversation about religion, politics, and various other subjects I pretend to know about when I've had a few in me.  He really was a nice guy, but I told him I had to go meet my friends and I left him at the hipster bar.  I'm sure he'll be okay.

I continued down the street towards where my friend said the party was at.  I stopped in an alley to, umm, take care of some business, and played it off by taking a picture of the interesting alley-graffiti with my phone (that's becoming a theme, I guess).  A couple girls saw me taking the picture and asked what I was snapping, so I showed them.  When they weren't impressed, I admitted what I was really doing, and they laughed.  They were headed to the same club, so we walked together to the Night Cat.  Anyway, there was absolutely no one I knew there.  It was a very hip salsa scene with a live band, but since I can't dance salsa for the life of me, and there was nobody I knew, I decided to head home early.  That was probably a good idea, anyway, since I have to meet with my advisor tomorrow to pick classes and enroll. Should be a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment