Friday, February 17, 2012

Well, enrollment day was not exactly thrilling.  We had a large assembly where we were talked at about pretty boring bookkeeping and enrollment stuff; I guess it was useful, but many of us were not paying full attention.  The important thing they kept reminding us of was to pay attention to the differences between our own cultures and Australia's, and to keep in mind especially the differences in our education systems and studying needs.  It was cool to see how many study abroad and exchange students there are here.  There were probably upwards of 300 people in the room.  A fun fact I learned: Melbourne has the third largest international student population in the world, behind London and (proudly) Boston (at least that's what the speaker said).  Pretty cool that I've lived in two out of three.

We also had a brief session with just science, engineering, and architecture students to go over a few more details.  I've decided I'm going to change around my courses a bit so I can take one about Australia (and to avoid Friday class).  Now I have some bureaucratic approvals to jump through.

Tonight is a party for MUSEX, the UMelb club for international/study abroad/exchange students.  Should be fun, and it looks like a really great club.  Supposedly we will flip a coin with the bartender when we order drinks, and it we get it right they're free.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment