Monday, February 20, 2012

I'm officially enrolled, everyone.  Today was a complete scramble, and I felt like I was running around like a headless chicken getting approval forms signed, registering for subjects, and setting up my timetable (otherwise known as a schedule).  Considering 70,000 other people also were also trying to do these things this week, you might imagine this chaos is universal--and you'd be right.  It's looking to be a great semester time-wise: no Fridays, and nothing on Monday until 4 PM, a careful decision I made to allow for some pretty epic long weekends.

I'm taking four subjects (a.k.a. classes--everything is called something different here):

  1. Control Theory -- some boring engineering course that's required for my major that deals with electronics signals, feedback, and controls from a mathematical perspective (I'm sure it's just as confusing as it sounds).  I went to see the professor for an approval, and I had almost no idea what he was talking about when he told me the things we're supposed to already know, but the first couple weeks are review so I'll have time to get up to speed.  I might do some reading beforehand (haha).  This will most likely be my hardest class, and I'm not expecting to do great, but I hear its pretty brutal back home, too, so I might as well bomb it here so it won't count towards my GPA.
  2. The Global Environment -- an introductory earth sciences class that's supposed to teach a basic understanding of topics like geology, paleontology, meteorology, etc., and it's counting as an elective for my Sustainable Energy certificate at Princeton.  It sounds pretty interesting, especially since it will use Australian examples to support the material, and that's something I can't get anywhere else.
  3. Science and Society -- a History of Science-type course that looks at how the relationship between technology and society has evolved.  I've always wanted to take a course like this, but there is only one at Princeton and it's a graduate-level class, so now seems like a great opportunity.
  4. Australia and America -- pretty much what it sounds like.  This class compares the history, politics, cultures, etc. of Australia and America.  It should give me a chance to really explore contemporary and historic Australian issues in a more formal setting, while my everyday life here does the same in a less formal setting.
Oh, and on a different note, when I said I wanted to try surfing again I wasn't kidding.  I bought tickets to the MUSEX surf party weekend that starts on Friday.  It's three days of all inclusive surfing, partying, eating, partying, drinking, and partying.  Can't wait!  Updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment