Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Not much to report on today, but a quick update...

I stopped by the orientation carnival, but it was very freshman-y so I didn't stay long (the word "carnival" should have tipped me off).  Tomorrow might be more useful, though, as the orientation activities are geared toward specific majors.  I'll check it out regardless, because there will be free food.

Tonight I did a bit of wandering, as usual, to meet up with a couple friends.  Before I found them at the bar (surprise, I was at a bar), I played a game of pool with a guy from England who also spent time living in Florida and Canada.  This meant he was a hockey fan (because of Canada), but a TB Lightning fan (because of Florida).  Interesting.  I lost spectacularly.  Not much else to report, really--an routinely enjoyable night.

One thing I noticed (and took advantage of) tonight in Melbourne is a public toilet.  I know it doesn't seem that exciting, but this is an absolutely brilliant idea, so city planners back home take note.  The bathroom was a very futuristic metal box right off the main street; you push a button to open the door, at which point the door closes again (very sci-fi) and tells you in a computerized voice that you have 10 minutes to do your business.  I didn't stick around long enough to find out what happens after 10 minutes.  (Does the door open while you're still on the john?)  Everything inside, even the toilet seat, was electric, so you didn't have to touch anything.  It was very useful.  It's something we tend to overlook in the States, but a couple of these here and there would really be an improvement in any city (especially Boston).  Kudos, Melbourne, for realizing that humans need to use the bathroom.

Getting pumped for MUSEX surf weekend!  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment