Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A note on alcohol...

I realized from reading through my blog that some of the posts give the impression that I've been drinking a lot, and I thought it might be worth touching briefly on this issue to alleviate any concerns among family and friends...

I need to point out, first of all, that Melbourne--and Australia in general--is a drinking culture.  This doesn't mean everybody is out getting smashed all the time; what it means is that social gatherings, more often than not, happen over drinks or in the presence of alcohol.  That being said, there is no pressure to get really drunk like there is at college back home.  Instead, drinking here is a very social activity, as it focuses on relaxing and enjoying the company of friends.  If it seems like my posts talk about a lot of bars, that's because I'm at a lot of bars; that's just where people hang out at night.  But that doesn't mean I'm drinking that much.  (Considering how expensive it all is here, I couldn't afford to anyway.)  Rest assured, there are other things to do, and I do them, too.

Sure, I'll admit it was exciting to finally be of-age to drink when I got here.  And yes, let's not kid ourselves that now and then I'm going to get drunk--hey, I'm a college student.  But it's a very safe culture, and I want to ensure everyone that I am imbibing in moderation and being responsible.  If any of you were, in fact, worried at all about the drinking, I (and my liver) want to sincerely thank you, because I know it's because you care about me and want to know I'm safe and healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ari… you couldn't do as much damage to your liver as I have. I'm sure you will be fine. Just drink lots of water before bed :). Sounds like your having a blast. Can't wait to Skype you soon.

    ReplyDelete