Monday, April 2, 2012

If I had more time I would have written a shorter letter...

3,300 words, 31 footnotes--done.  I finally finished my Science and Society paper.  It was supposed to be 2,000 words, but by the time I had collected all my sources I had so much to say.  When I asked the professor how much outside research she was expecting, she told me 'nine sources should suffice' (for a midterm!), all the while insisting this was not a research paper.  As the saying goes, "if I had more time I would have written a shorter letter."  (I tell students this at the writing center all the time.)  In the end I think I scraped together a halfway decent paper, although I'm a bit nervous because I'm still not quite sure what she's expecting.

Long story short, this paper was a bitch, especially considering I still have a 1000-word paper and a group poster project to finish in the next four days.  I wrote about the integration of science, industry, and entrepreneurship and how that transformed science from being an academic "calling" to a "job" or a business."  Now that's all pretty boring, I admit, but it did get me really excited about the prospect of someday starting my own engineering business.

So, coincidentally, now that it's time to choose courses for next semester at Princeton, I've decided to enroll in a 400-level entrepreneurship class called (...surprise!...) "High-Tech Entrepreneurship," which introduces the methods of forming a business plan and giving birth to a high-tech startup.  Now if only I had a clever idea I'd be well on my way to becoming a millionaire...

The other classes I'm taking next semester are statistics (probably not all that exciting, but tremendously useful), Engineering Design for Sustainable Development (designing LEED and such--shouldn't be too revolutionary for me), and Engineering in the Modern World (the engineering history class I've always wanted to take but could never fit into my schedule; I might elect pass/fail if the other classes end up being very time consuming).  I know I'm only halfway through my semester here, but I'm already getting excited for next year!  (Again, reaching one of my goals for this Australian adventure.)

So, T-minus four days until I fly up to Cairns for passover and scuba diving.  The seder is confirmed, 5-day scuba course is booked, hostel is reserved, campervan is hired; all is looking good.  Well, except we have no idea where we're going...

Many pictures and stories to come.  Things to look forward to:

  • Scuba diving, of course.  The 5-day program includes two days learning in a pool, then a three-day/two-night live-aboard trip on a 30-something person boat where we finish our PADI open water certification with four training dives then have five more pleasure dives, including one at night!  Each dive is about a half hour, I think, so it's going to be a ton of fun.  Yes, you should be jealous.
  • Ben and I attempting to drive 1,500 miles in a campervan (basically a minivan with a bed instead of back seats and a kitchenette instead of a trunk) on the LEFT side of the road.  And I'll have to get used to shifting with my left hand; the clutch is still on the same side, but shifter will be on the left.  Might take some getting used to.  Hopefully we'll bring the van back with some clutch left. (I don't think Ben has driven stick before, although he's pretty mechanical like me so I anticipate he'll pick it up quickly.)  I'm going to be the one to drive off the lot, so hopefully I don't stall and make us look like fools.  Again, you should be jealous.
  • Many beaches, cliffs, sights, islands... Byron bay, Fraser island, to name a few.  We still have to figure that part out.  For [not] the last time, you should be jealous.
  • Possibly best spring break ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment