Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Melbourne Comedy Festival

Yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be writing my papers.  But I got an invite (and a free ticket--who could pass that up?) to a comedy performance tonight, part of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival that's going on right now, so I went.  All part of the "try everything" game.  The guy's name was Andrew McClelland, and his show was called "One Man Stand."  My friend Ariel (from my Welcome group) took a comedy workshop with him last week, and he got four free tickets out of it, so he invited me to tag along.  It's always good to have a laugh when you're supposed to be hard at work.

The "One Man Stand" consisted of a series of short acts of "different" comedians, all played by Andrew.  Irish, "bogan" (a sort of halfway-derogatory 'white trash' term), fat American capitalist, Richard Dawkins, etc.;  some were better than others, but I was smiling through the whole thing regardless.  My favorite was one where he impersonated a soviet communist comedian--it's funnier than it sounds.  The gig went on for about an hour; unfortunately, a lot of the Australian history/pop culture references went over my head, but I could stil tell they were funny (so I laughed).  The performance was in the Council Chambers at Melbourne Town Hall, which was pretty cool because I got to sit in a big leather politician-style chair.

There are a few big international names here, like Wanda Sykes, but I won't be around to see any of them.  Oh well, that's what YouTube is for.


No comments:

Post a Comment