Friday, April 6, 2012

Vacation Departure Day


I was so excited last night I could barely sleep.  Vacation is here!

Right now I’m sitting in the rather spartan JetStar domestic terminal at the Melbourne airport waiting for my flight to be called for Cairns.  I must say, air travel in Australia is vastly more pleasant than in the states.  First of all, everyone in the airport is nice and cheerful; unlike American airline employees, these people seem to realize they actually don’t have the worst jobs in the world.  For instance, I was two kilos over my 15 kg checked baggage limit, and the woman at the counter saved me $30 by telling me to move stuff into my carry-on, and waited patiently while I shuffled my beach towel and two boxes of matzo from my duffel into my backpack.  (To be honest, it doesn’t make any sense to me to have to do that since it all ends up weighing down the plane the same, but I appreciated her advice nonetheless.)  She wished me a nice flight and I want on my way.

Then there was security, which took all of one minute.  They basically asked me if I had any aerosols, slid my bag and laptop through the machine, and I was off.  I didn’t even have to take off my shoes.  Oddly, I have not been asked for my passport once, which is actually a bit disconcerting.  Still, It’s nice to not be treated like a terrorist at the airport.

Ben’s flight lands an hour before mine, so he should be waiting for me at the airport in Cairns.  We’ll have to rush to the hostel and then straight to the seder, and then our adventure begins!

Have a happy Passover or Easter or whatever you’re celebrating this week!  I’ll do my best to post whenever I have internet, but don’t hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment